The road trip is over.. we are back into the daily grind. In fact now it’s been so many days that it feels like south africa was ages ago. During the last days on the road I had started jotting down a few points I wanted to share with friends who were planning a road trip in South Africa in January. And though I finally ended up telling them these in person, I still hope these will still be helpful for someone planning a similar trip 🙂
1. The roads are very good all the way from durban till Cape Town. People follow lanes and all highway rules so driving is a pleasure in South Africa (at least on the route we took!)
2. Restrooms and gas/petrol: there are convenient gas stations on the highway with good restrooms and also little food outlets.. depending on the town, you might find just a small pick-and-go thing or a proper food court close to the gas station. Restrooms are mostly free but at some places there is a fee of 1 or 2 Rand.
3. Along smaller towns the highway food options close early.. by about 6 pm.
4. No matter what the season you are coming in, do bring your rain jacket and a warm jacket.
5. If you are planing to do treks, don’t forget your insect repellant.
6. Another must – sunscreen. The sun is pretty strong here..
7. For vegetarians: I didn’t have any problem finding vegetarian food all through the trip. All restaurants have 3-4 veggie entries. On the highway, I found Nando’s veggie burger/pita and wrap the best!
I shall add more as I remember more. 🙂